INSEEC in partnership with the Qatar Olympic Academy (QOA) organized the Executive Training Program in Sports Diplomacy in Qatar, from 22 -26 February 2015, attended by the sports leaders of Qatar Sports Federations and Clubs.
Hosted for the first time in Doha, the event comes in line with the strategy of the Qatar Olympic Committee for 2016 and aims to promote for Sports Diplomacy.
World nations consider sports as a means to endorse global power, diplomacy, economy as well as a bridge-builder among nations whether at peace or conflict.
During the workshop, Sports Diplomacy was treated in four different aspects:
- Sports, Politics and Diplomacy;
- Governance of Sports;
- Political Lobbying, Public Relations and the Media in Sports;
- The Role and Impact of Sports Federations and Clubs.
Mr. Ibrahim Khalil Al Jefairi, Executive Director of the Qatar Olympic Academy (QOA) inaugurated the Sport Diplomacy Training Workshop.
Amir DHIA, Dean of Studies MSc & MBA INSEEC and Director of the MBA in Business Diplomacy launched the event by focusing on the role of sports in politics and diplomacy and its influence on “soft power”.
The following two days, Serge VALENTIN, a former Olympic athlete, President of Fairplay Conseil and Professor at INSEEC MSc Sport Management, reflected on the institutions that govern world sports and provided his strategic vison. The second part of his presentation was devoted to the influence of international sports federations in diplomacy.
On day four, Alexandre CADET, Managing Director of BE4TEAM Agency and Director of INSEEC MSc Sport Management, enriched the debate by emphasizing on the role of the media in sports, public relations and lobbying.
To conclude the event, a workshop was organized to allow the participants to exchange views on the impact of sports federations and clubs in diplomacy, with reference to lobbying and media.
The workshop was marked by two key events:
– the conference presented by Mr. Gerard HOUILLIER, the world famous football coach for the French Football Team, and the Clubs of Liverpool FC and Paris Saint-Germain. He emphasized on the importance of diplomacy and cultural integration among sports clubs as a key to victory in competition.
– the presence of HE Sheikh Saoud Bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, Chairman of the Qatar Olympic Academy (QOA) and Secretary General of the Qatar Olympic Committee, who, along with Mr. Rémy CHALLE, Director of INSEEC MSc & MBA Paris, honored the sports leaders with a Certificate of Achievement for their active participation. In his speech, Mr. Al Thani praised INSEEC and the Qatar Olympic Academy for successfully organizing this first event of its type. He encourage both sides to discuss further ways of bilateral cooperation.
Thanking the QOA for hosting the event, Mr. CHALLE also stressed on INSEEC readiness to advance cooperation between both sides.